Doctor warns consumers of popcorn fumes
"Consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn, according to a warning letter to federal regulators from a doctor at a leading lung research hospital."
But only if you have 12 bag a day jones for the stuff. Or at least the smell of burning kernels in your nostrils.
"(T)he ailing patient, a man whom she wouldn't identify, consumed "several bags of extra butter flavored microwave popcorn" every day for several years.
He described progressively worsening respiratory symptoms of coughing and shortness of breath. Tests found his ability to exhale was deteriorating, Rose said, although his condition seemed to stabilize after he quit using microwave popcorn.
She said her staff measured airborne levels of diacetyl in the patient's home when he cooked the popcorn. The levels were "similar to those reported in the microwave oven exhaust area" at the quality assurance unit of the popcorn plant where the affected employees worked, she said."
Similar to a microwave oven exhaust area? Did this guy even stop scarfing popcorn to go to the bathroom?
The article discusses "exposure to diecytl" as the culprit. Sounds horrible right? Until you read the CDC and NIOSH findings suggesting either a tenuous link or "ventilation" as the right response. Is exposure related to increased risk of irreversible lung disease? Enough to cause lawsuits a'poppin.
Coming to a store near you. Black box warnings on the package of microwaveable popcorn.